Sending QuickBooks Files to Your Accountant
By: Wendy Rafferty, Supervisor
It’s tax time once again and if you’re a business owner, your CPA/tax preparer is hounding you for your financials. One reason we recommend that our business clients use QuickBooks (or some other accounting software) for their business is that it is quick and easy to pull together financial records. Here are two options for sending the needed information to your CPA/tax preparer:
Sending QuickBooks Accountant’s Copy
- Open QB, and go to File, Accountant’s Copy, Client Activities, Send to Accountant
- Click NEXT on the Confirm sending Acct Copy window
- In the blue box for Dividing Date (provided by your CPA/tax preparer), enter _______, click NEXT.
- In the email address window, type enter requester’s email, then your name, email, etc., click NEXT
- Add a password for the file (Note: Be sure to send unique password – not the QB password – to the requester in a separate email.) click SEND.
Following the steps above will create the file and email it to your CPA/tax preparer in one process. While you will still be able to work in your QuickBooks, you will NOT be able to make any changes to work done before the cut-off date. Your CPA/tax preparer can also work in the file, and will email you back an accountant’s changes file that will update your QB file with any changes made, but still keep your current work untouched.
Sending QuickBooks Regular Backup Copy
- Open QB. Go to File / Backup Company / Create Local Backup
- Be sure Local Backup is selected
- Browse to save the file somewhere easy to find. Leave all backup options as defaulted. Click OK. QB will close all open windows and will create a backup file.
- Send to your CPA/tax prepare using a secure portal. If you are a Cover & Rossiter client, you can access our secure ShareFile portal. Go to www.CoverRossiter.com / Client Support / Secure File Sharing
If you’re new to QuickBooks, be sure to check out our QuickBooks tutorials:
How to eliminate clutter by getting rid of paperwork
QuickBooks Dashboard Tour
Wendy Rafferty is a Supervisor in our Diversified Accounting Services department at Cover & Rossiter. Since joining the firm in 2013, she has helped dozens of businesses with their accounting needs. She is committed to being a passionate advocate for a business’s financial health and well-being.