Getting Ready for Tax Day
As tax season begins, we are busy making the necessary preparations for the annual influx of paper from our clients. Our Organizers have been mailed out. If you have not recieved yours by Feburary 5th, please contact us immediately. Organizers are wonderful tools that aid our clients in gathering information necessary for Cover & Rossiter to prepare an accurate 1040 income tax return. If we prepared your return for you last year, you’ll find pertinent information prefilled in this year’s Organizer; otherwise, the Organizer is blank. Here are a few tips to help ensure a more timely and accurate tax return:
- Don’t forget to read and sign the engagement letter.
- If you’re e-filing, please verify that we have the correct bank account information. (Note: Refunds will be automatically deposited into your account; however, a payment voucher will be prepared if you owe, and funds willnot be automatically withdrawn from your account.)
- Double-check the personal information page to make sure your address and phone numbers are current, and that your date(s) of birth is correct.
- Supplying us with total dollar amounts of cash and non-cash donations, as well as medical expenses, will reduce the amount of tax preparation fees.
- Please make sure a monetary value is noted on any non-cash donation receipts.
- If you spent time working in another state, outside of Wilmington City limits, you may be eligible for a state/city tax refund. Please fill out the travel log enclosed in your Organizer. An Excel copy is available here for your convenience.
- We will be including the Consent to Use of Tax Return Information form again this year. By signing this form, you agree to allow Cover & Rossiter to use your tax return information to aid us in planning your financial future.
And remember: Don’t wait until you have that last tax form that’s due to arrive on April 2nd before sending us your documents. The sooner we get your information, the sooner we’ll be able to begin working on your return, and you’ll be ahead of the rush on the 15th.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact: