School Property Tax Relief For Seniors
The State of Delaware currently offers homeowners ages 65 and over a tax credit against their school property taxes of 50% (up to $400). The Senior School Property Tax Credit may be used against the property taxes on a primary residence.
- To qualify for this credit, you must be age 65 or older by June 30 of the year for which you are applying.
- You must complete an application for the credit and submit it to the county in which you reside by April 30th.
- A copy of the Senior School Property Tax Relief application can be obtained online at https://finance.delaware.gov/publications/proptax/ssptc_app.pdf
- A copy of your valid driver’s license or official state ID is required for each applicant at the time of the application.
- Applicants do notneed to re-apply for the credit each year.
- Once the applicant qualifies for the program, the amount of the credit will automatically be deducted from the property tax bill before it is mailed by the county.
- Taxpayers must pay their property tax bill in full by the end of each tax year in order to qualify for this credit for the subsequent property tax year.
- Ten-year Residency Requirement for New Applicants
- Individuals who establish legal domicile in Delaware on or after January 1, 2018 will be required to have been legally domiciled within the State for a period of at least ten consecutive years in order to be eligible to receive a credit.
- Individuals who establish legal domicile in Delaware AFTER December 31, 2012, but prior to January 1, 2018 will continue to be required to have been legally domiciled within the State for a period of at least three consecutive years in order to be eligible to receive a credit. Individuals who have established domicile in Delaware prior to January 1, 2013, will be eligible to receive the credit in the ensuing tax year.
For more information, visit https://finance.delaware.gov/publications/proptax/propmain.shtm You can also contact New Castle County at 302-395-5520. Of course, you can call Cover & Rossiter (302-656-6632) with your questions.